Why Should You Prepare an Emergency Flood Kit?
An emergency flood kit is intended to keep you going for a number of days should you be unable to leave your home. It should contain all the essential items you need should you become isolated without heat, power and lighting. It may not be possible or safe to leave your home in heavy flooding, for example in 2014 homes and communities in Somerset were isolated by severe flooding for several days.
What should you include in your emergency flood kit?
- A copy of your emergency flood plan
- A list of emergency contact numbers (utilities, insurance company, Environment Agency etc)
- Torch/head lamp
- Matches or a lighter
- Portable radio and batteries
- Spare batteries
- First aid kit
- Essential medication such as inhalers, insulin etc
- Wash kit and essential toiletries
- Babies/toddlers – nappies, toiletries and comforters
- Blankets – fleece ones are lightweight and compact
- Glasses and/or contact lenses
- A change of clothes if you have space
- Phone chargers/external battery charger
- Children's toys and games
Food and water:
- Ideally 3-day supply of water and food per person, allow 3 litres of water per person per day and don't use water that's been stored for over a year
- Dried and long-life food, packets, tins, chocolate bars, cereal bars, comfort food, check your food supply regularly to ensure that it is in date
- Babies/toddlers food
- Pet food
- Portable camping stove and gar refill, matched, saucepan
- Don't forget a can opener
What should you keep your flood kit in?
You'll need a container that large enough to store everything you need for all your household such as a large plastic box with a lid.
Where should you keep your emergency flood kit?
You should store your flood kit upstairs if possible and don't forget to note its location on your flood plan.
All households will differ, making preparing an emergency flood kit a family activity as not only will this help ensure you have everything you need but it will also help prepare children for what they need to do.
REMEMBER to check your flood kit regularly to ensure that food and water supplies are in date and that batteries etc still work.
Have you got a question that we've not answered? Call our team on 01832 770770, we'll be happy to help.